Photo: copyright 2008 by Dina Kagramanov.
Woman FIDE Master Dina Kagramanov, of Richmond Hill, Ontario, was in her 4th year as a student in the Faculty of Health at York University in 2008, when her studies were interrupted by a strike. Luckily, she was able to use the break to represent Canada on Board 3 on the Women's Team at the Olympiad in Dresden, Germany, where she scored 5.5/9.
Debbie Evans Quek - Dina Kagramanov
Women's Olympiad, Bled, Slovenia, Wales - Canada, Round 13.1, 2002.11.08
1. g3 d5 2. Bg2 c6 3. d3 Nf6 4. Nc3
Trying out the Canadian style against a Canadian! An invention of Duncan Suttles, 1964.
4... e5 5. Bg5
The pin was first tried by Kevin Spraggett vs. Computer Deep Thought, 1989.
5... h6 6. Bd2 Be7
Novelty. 6... Bd6 Biegler - Vogel, 1997.
7. e4 O-O 8. Nf3 Qc7 9. O-O Bg4
Black's turn to try a pin.
10. Qe1 Nbd7 11. Nh4 dxe4 12. dxe4 Nb6 13. h3 Be6 14. b3 Rad8 15. Rd1 Bc5 16. Qe2 Rd7 17. Be3
Black maintains the advantage by retaining the dark-squared bishop to attack a3 and c3.
18. Nb1 Rfd8 19. Kh2 Nc8 20. a3 Ba5 21. Rxd7 Qxd7 22. Bc1 Bb6 23. Nf3 Qc7 24. Bb2
Black gambles, giving up the bishop to obtain a 4-3 queenside pawn majority. She then relentlessly pursues the strategy of forcing through the candidate passed d-pawn.
25. Nxd4 exd4 26. f4 c5 27. Nd2 Nb6 28. Nf3 Bd7 29. Ne5 Be8 30. Ng4 ?!
The knight was needed to defend the queenside.
30... Nxg4+ 31. Qxg4 c4
32. b4 ?
It was better to leave the pawn guarding c4 against the knight's invasion. White feared 32. bxc4 Nxc4 33. Bc1 Ne3 34. Bxe3 dxe3.
32... c3 33. Bc1 Nc4 34. f5 Ne5
The knight makes full use of the holes in White's position. White's game goes rapidly downhill.
35. Qf4 Qd6 36. Rd1 Ba4 37. Be3 d3 38. Bc5 Qf6 39. Rxd3 Nxd3 40. cxd3 Rxd3 41. e5 Qg5 42. Qf2 Rd2 43. Qf1 Bc6 44. e6 fxe6 45. fxe6 Rxg2+ 46. Qxg2 Bxg2 47. e7 Bc6 0-1
Thanks to Dina Kagramanov (biography, photo), Bob Armstrong.
Sources: Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views, Volume 10, No. 7, 2008.12.01; 2008 Olympiad web page on the web site of the Chess Federation of Canada.